Note: My email addresses is part of Fastmail's updated settings, currently accessible in beta only. For more information on how you can access beta, check out the new settings, and send us your feedback, please see our Fastmail beta help page.
At the Settings → My email addresses screen, you can manage all of your email addresses in one place.
This screen makes it easy to quickly create new email addresses for different purposes, whether you want to generate a Masked Email address to use with a new service, create a professional looking address, or just try something new.
- Viewing my email addresses
- Creating an email address
- Editing my email addresses
- Deleting an email address
- Verifying an email address
- Team addresses
Viewing my email addresses
The Settings → My email addresses screen shows every email address that you have created in Fastmail, every email address that you have migrated to Fastmail, or any email address that has been shared with you by an admin in your Fastmail account.
At the top of the screen, you can see your total number of addresses, the number of email addresses you have set up, and the number of Masked Email addresses you have generated. Click the Masked Email button to quickly switch to your Settings → Masked Email screen and manage your Masked Email addresses from there.
From this screen, you can also set your default email address. Your default email address is the address that is automatically selected when composing a message. This can be changed by clicking the Set default button at the top of your address list, then selecting the desired email address.
By default, the list is sorted in alphabetical order of addresses. If you wish to sort the list by name or domain, this can be done by clicking the Email address dropdown at the top of the list. To switch the sort direction between ascending and descending order, click the arrow icon next to the dropdown.
You can also quickly find an email address by typing part of the address or name in the Search My email addresses bar.
The Status column in your address list lets you easily see at a glance if an email address is able to send and receive mail.
An email address will have one of the following statuses listed:
- Active: This email address sends and receives mail through Fastmail.
- Blocked: This email address sends mail through Fastmail, but has been set to reject incoming mail.
- External: This email address either a) does not send through your Fastmail account, or b) does not directly receive mail at your Fastmail account.
- Verify: You need to verify ownership of this email address. (See the Verifying an email address section below for more details.)
- Plus: This is a plus address for another email address in your account.
- Subdomain: This is a subdomain address for another email address in your account.
You may see the following tags next the address's status:
- Shared: This email address can be accessed by other users in your Fastmail account.
- Send via Fastmail: This is an external email address that you have set to send through Fastmail's servers.
- Masked email icon: You have manually set up a sending identity for this Masked Email address.
You can click the funnel icon to filter your email addresses by status or type (External, Shared, or Personal).
Creating an email address
If you wish to create a new email address for yourself, you can do so by following these steps:
- Go to Settings → My email addresses and click New address.
- Enter the address you'd like. If you want to change the address's domain, you can click the dropdown menu and select the desired domain. You can choose from custom domains that have been set up in your Fastmail account, or you can choose from Fastmail's domains. When you're ready, click Continue.
- A new screen will appear where you can set a name and signature for the email address, and edit other advanced settings. (See the Editing my email addresses section below for more details.)
- Click Save.
Editing my email addresses
You can make changes to any email address by finding it in the list and clicking the Edit button.
From the Edit screen, you can make the following changes:
- Name: The name that recipients will see on messages you've sent from this address.
- Show in composer: If this option is enabled, the address can be selected from the list of addresses when sending a message. If this option is disabled, the address will not appear as an option when sending a message. (Disabling this option may be helpful if you receive mail at a large number of email addresses, but you don't use a lot of them for sending mail.)
- Signature: The signature that recipients will see on messages you've sent from this address.
Additional settings can be changed by clicking Show advanced preferences. We strongly recommend leaving these settings unchanged unless you are an advanced user. Here, you can make the following changes:
- Reply to: If you want to send messages from this email address, but you explicitly want replies to your messages to go to a different address, you can set that email address here.
- Auto Bcc: If you want messages sent from this email address to automatically Bcc a different address, you can set that email address here.
- Save sent messages in: If you don't want your sent messages saved in your Sent folder, you can choose the folder here. You can also select whether or not to save messages sent in a third-party email client.
- Nickname: You can add a nickname for viewing an email address in My email addresses. The nickname will only be visible to you from that screen. This option can be helpful if you need to quickly tell addresses apart or recall what an address is used for.
Be sure to click Save after making changes.
Deleting an email address
If you wish to delete an email address, you can do so by following these steps:
- Go to Settings → My email addresses.
- Click the Edit button next to the address you wish to delete.
- Click the Delete button.
- A Verify it's you box will appear. Enter your password and click Continue. (For more information, see our Password-protected actions help page.)
- The address is now deleted.
Verifying an email address
If you see the Verify button next to an email address, this means that you will need to prove that you can successfully receive mail at that email address before you can use it to send mail. This allows us to verify that you own the email address.
Clicking the Verify button will open a new page where you can request a single-use code to that email address. Click Send verification code. When you have received the verification code at that address, you can then return to this page, enter the code, and click Verify.
Email addresses that need to be verified will not be permitted to send through Fastmail or through third-party email clients. Attempting to do so will result in an error message, or the messages will be rejected on the SMTP level.
If you are an admin looking to create a shared email address or a new user in your account, this can be done by going to Settings → Team & Sharing.