- About sharing
- How to share a folder
- Changing and removing permissions
- Troubleshooting: shared mail and clients
You can create shared mail folders between all or some users in your account. For people in a business, this can provide easy coordination of job applicants or sales enquiries. For family members, this can allow for easier sharing of communication over upcoming events.
The folder owner has control over who can see shared mail, so your private data remains private.
All messages within a shared folder count towards the folder owner's mail quota.
How to share a folder
Anyone can share a folder and set whom they'd like to share it with.
- Go to Settings → Folders.
- Click Edit on the folder you want to share, or click the blue Create Folder button to create a new one.
- Click Show advanced preferences. Under Team Sharing, type the user you would like to share the folder with, then choose the sharing permissions for this user from the dropdown menu. Be sure to click Save to save changes.
Owners of a shared folder can now choose between two settings for how mail is marked as read: if anyone reads a message it's marked read for everyone, or messages are seen as unread to each person until they read it. This option can be toggled in the Settings → Folders screen under Team Sharing.
Users who own shared folders can see these folders listed in Settings → Folders by default. For users who have a folder shared with them, but do not own the folder, there is a drop down option at the top right of the Settings → Folders screen. Choosing an account from the drop down list shows the list of folders that user has shared.
You can make changes to folder sharing options for multiple folders at a time. To do so, click on the checkboxes for the folders you wish to change sharing settings for, then click Edit.
Changing and removing permissions
Folder sharing has three main settings for permissions:
- This user can only view.
- This user can make changes.
- This user can make changes and share.
If you'd like to change or remove some permissions for a user, click the permissions listed next to their email address, and choose a new set of permissions from the drop down box. You can also remove sharing altogether by clicking Remove.
Once sharing permissions have been removed for all users, the folder will no longer be shared.