A mailto link is a link that connects to an email address instead of a website, i.e.
mailto:email@example.com. When you click a mailto email link on another website, it will normally create a new message in your default mail application. To open these links with Fastmail:
- Log in to your account.
- Open the Settings → Preferences screen.
- Click the Show advanced preferences link.
- In the Compose section, click Open mailto links from other sites in Fastmail.
- Note: If the button is disabled, then your browser does not support this functionality. You might need to upgrade to the latest version of your browser.
- Your browser may prompt you to allow Fastmail to open mailto links, usually in a bar at the top of the page. Click the button to allow it.
Now, any mailto link you click should open a new compose window in Fastmail. If you're not logged in at the time, you'll be prompted to log in first, then taken to the compose screen.
Mailto links in Windows
Windows users will need to set their desired browser as the default app for opening mailto links before changing their settings in Fastmail. To do this:
- Search your device for Default apps.
- Select Choose default apps by protocol.
- Click MAILTO.
- Select your preferred browser.
Once this has been done, you can change your Fastmail settings to open mailto links.