Your profile picture (also known as an avatar) is an image that represents you online. We use the widely-used Gravatar service to fetch images for you and your contacts.
You can upload and manage your own picture on the Gravatar website. A different image can be set for each email address you use. Many email services, including Fastmail, will display these images next to the emails you send. We also show your picture in the top left corner of the screen when you are logged in.
How to add a profile picture in Gravatar
To add a profile picture in Gravatar, you'll need to sign up for a Gravatar account.
- Go to Gravatar's website and create an account.
- After creating an account, go to the My Gravatars screen.
- Add your Fastmail email address, then click Confirm your email in the confirmation message you receive.
- Upload your desired profile picture by clicking the Upload new image button.
If you only have one email address in Gravatar, then your image will automatically be added as the profile picture for that address. Alternatively, you can add multiple email addresses and images and designate different profile pictures for each address.
How to disable the profile picture service
If you'd rather not see other people's avatars show up throughout your mail, you can turn them off.
- Go to Settings → Display options.
- Click Show advanced preferences.
- In the Reading section, find the Show public images of senders from external services and click the button to disable it.