These instructions are for how to set up the Mail app built into Windows 8, part of the modern (metro) interface.
Windows 8 Mail needs its own app password to access your information. If you use your normal password or your Fastmail two step verification password on an external account, syncing to an external service won't work and you will see a password error.
- Open the Mail app. You may be required to sign in to a Microsoft account. You must do this before you can add your Fastmail account.
- You should be prompted to "Add another account". If not, open the Settings Charm (swipe in from the right and tap Settings, or move your mouse to the bottom right of the screen if you don't have a touchscreen). Select Accounts, then Add an account.
- Select Other account.
- Select IMAP as your account kind.
- Click the Show more details link at the bottom, then fill in the details as follows:
- Email Address: The email address you wish to use for sending mail (this is normally your Fastmail username, but can be another address at your own domain).
- Username: Your full Fastmail username, including the domain.
- Password: Your MetroMail app password. (What is an app password?)
- Incoming (IMAP) email server:
- Incoming server requires SSL: Yes
- Outgoing (SMTP) email server:
- Outgoing server requires SSL: Yes
- Outgoing server requires authentication: Yes
- Use the same username and password to send and receive email: Yes Your screen should look something like:
- Click the Connect button.
Your Fastmail account is now ready to use.